Saturday, July 30, 2011

EOC Week 3: My Demographics



flickr  By deanj

I am the daughter of two Baby Boomers and I can clearly see the difference how each generation changes and how each generation determines how the next is going to develop. I was born in the 90’s; therefore, I have been labeled as a Millennial, which are also known for being the Generation Y. It is interesting how marketers study human populations, they observe and judge how a certain population acts and such observations are correct. Millennials are both materialistic as well as technological. As much as I wish I was not materialistic I cannot live without my computer, my phone, my bags, and clothes.  If all my material things I use in my everyday basis were taken from me, I would feel as if the world has ended (at least mine). One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology, it’s a way of life.”  (Page74. Marketing an Introduction by Armstrong, Kotler) Technology is a great thing that has captivated in our lives. It is such a great development that it has even passed on to older generations like, the Baby Boomers and the Generation X. I personally, use the computer at least one time a day, either for social networking, homework, or even business payments. “The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks. A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users. According to another study, 77 percent of Millennials frequent social networking sites and 71 percent use instant messaging. “All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive. (Page74. Marketing an Introduction by Armstrong, Kotler) Everything I do  has to be technologically done so I could be able to continue my busy life. It is such an advantage to be able to swim through technology so easily; therefore, I am pleased to help my mother learn technology  because “it’s not something separate. It’s just something they do.” says a Yahoo! executive. (Page74. Marketing an Introduction by Armstrong, Kotler)    

No comments:

Post a Comment